What Is Glucocorticoid Therapy?
Glucocorticoid Therapy is commonly used to treat Kidney Disease in clinic. It refers to use one or more than one steroids medicines to suppress the over-reactive immune reaction and improve immune function. Generally, it is effective in relieveing symptoms, such as proteinuria, swelling, etc.
What are the functions of Glucocorticoid Therapy?
* steroids can suppress the synthesis of IL 2 to restrain the activation of T cells. It can prevent further over-reactive immune inflammatory reaction.
* Decrease the permeability of capillaries and boost the edema to subside as well as reduce the releasing of active substances.
* Control the releasing of inflammatory factors and reduce inflammatory infiltration.
* It can disturb the recognition ability of lymphocytes and prevent the proliferation of immunocompetent cells.
* Stop B cells to transform into plasmocyte to reduce the production of antibodies.
* Control the releasing of inflammatory factors to reduce allergic reaction.
3. Antitoxic function
It can combine with endotoxin to prevent the pathological changes due to it.
What Are The Side Effects Of Glucocorticoid Therapy?
Weight gain is a common problem among people on steroids. You may be able to reduce weight by changing your diet. However, it is very hard for you to keep weight down when you are having steroids treatment.
steroids can disturb your sleep, especially when you take them in the evening. You can improve your sleep by learning relaxation sleep, making your bedroom comfortable, establishing a regular hour for getting into bed, etc.
3. Memory problem
You may find your memory gets worse when you have been having steroids treatment for a while. It is pretty hard to improve your memory while you are having the steroids treatment.
steroids not only can suppress the over-reactive immune response, but also can affect the normal immune function. Outside bacteria and virus are more likely to invade into body and cause infections.
steroids can cause bone to release calcium and also suppress the resorption of calcium from what you eat. Therefore, it can cause the thinning of bones, with an increase in fracture risk. You may develop pains in your joint. You can take a mild painkiller to manage the pain.
6. Eye problems
You may develop blurred vision due to cataracts or other eye problems or worse the problems if they are already present.
7. Increased blood sugar
Since cortisone takes part in maintaining normal levels of glucose in blood, if you use steroids over time, it may elevate blood sugar or even cause Diabetes.
8. Changes in appearance
Buffalo hump and moon shaped faces can be commonly seen among people are taking steroids. Also, more hairs may grow on every part of body like face, breasts, etc. These conditions are really not appreciated by patients, particularly young ladies.
9. Swelling and increased blood pressure
Since cortisone is involved in maintaining the balance of fluid, sodium and other electrolytes. Using steroids medicines can increase the building of fluid and cause or worsen high blood pressure.
10. Mood swings
steroids can affect your moods or even cause depression. Your mood my swing for no clear reasons. Reducing the dosage of steroids may help relieve the problem.
What are the features of Glucocorticoid Therapy?
Glucocorticoid Therapy is a kind of symptomatic treatment. It only can suppress the inflammatory response and control symptoms temporarily. However, when you reduce the dosage or stop having it, the symptoms will relapse at once. Every relapse of the disease is an significant attack to kidneys.
What types of steroids drugs used to treat Kidney Disease are there?
Glucorticoids belongs to one kind of adrenocortical steroids and is a commonly used steroid steroids in clinic. The types of glucorticoids are as follows:
1. Based on how long the medicine efficiency lasts:
Prednison, prednisolone,methylprednisolone, triamcinolone
Do's and don't of Glucocorticoid Therapy?
1. Having steroids during pregnancy
Glucocorticoid can penetrate placenta. Long-term use of glucocorticoid can increase the incidence of poor function of placenta, lose of weight for new baby or stillbirth. If women have steroids during pregnancy, it is necessary to figure out if the new baby has the manifestation of adrenal gland cortex hypofunction.
2. Taking drugs during sucking periods
If the patients are taking a large dosage of glucocorticoid during sucking period, breastfeeding should not be allowed. As the glucocorticoid may be filtered out through breast milk and may affect baby in a negative way.
Parents should monitor their children to use steroids closely since steroids can cause growth retardation. Meanwhile, the parents should observe if their children develop eye problems, osteoporosis, infections, etc.
4. Follow-up examinations
If the patients are on long-term Glucocorticoid Therapy, they should have the following follow-up examinations:
* Test levels of blood glucose and urine glucose as well as sugar tolerance regularly, especially for the patients with Diabetes or possibility of developing Diabetes.
* Parents should have their children tested for the development and growth situations.
* Ophthalmic testing is necessary in case of cataracta,glaucoma and other eye problems.
* They should do tests for high blood pressure and osteoporosis, particularly among the elderly.